As our Christmas tree goes up, every year I find myself looking for fun ornaments to make with my kids. I love decorating the tree with ornaments that they have put their creative touch on. Today I’m going to show you how to create a Shaker Box Ornament. In past years, I’ve created similar shadow box ornaments with pre made clear boxes, but my organization store was out of the pre made boxes so I had to get creative this year and use what I had on hand.
Supplies Used: Clear Scraps Acrylic Sheets (12 x 12), Stampendous (Winter Greetings Clear Set, Shaved Ice), Tsukineko (StazOn Cotton White, Memento Black), Copics, Beacon (Zip Dry, Fabric Tac), May Arts ribbon, foam core
1. Cut two 3 inch pieces of acrylic from Acrylic Sheet. Remove protective backing from acrylic and stamp snowflake in Cotton White StazOn.
2. Stamp snowman in Memento ink and color with Copics. Trim to 3 inch.
3. Adhere thin strips of foam core or foam adhesive to the outside of stamped image.
4. Sprinkle Shaved Ice onto stamped image. Adhere an acrylic piece to the foam core.
5. Add sentiment to photo and print. Trim to 3 inch.
6. Adhere photo to back of stamped image. Cover with the other acrylic piece.
7. Wrap ribbon around the project. Embellish with a bow.
I love to use photos of the kids that reflect something new or important to them each year. This year my son is learning to play the violin so a photo of him with the violin is perfect for his ornament. Its fun to be able to look back each year as we hang the ornaments on the tree and not only see how much they’ve grown, but also remember what was important to them that year.